Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What Is Really Important

In the crazy world that we live in, it is all too easy to get caught up in the day-to-day skirmishes, which, though important, pale in comparison to what really matters. I will be the first to admit that I can joust with others, and try to defend my beliefs, and probably sometimes go over the line and become a bit of a pain. While not making light of these arguments, nor the differences in beliefs which cause them, I also find that at this time of the year my thoughts drift to a different plane.

On a spiritual level, I once again remember that about 2000 years ago, the Son of God came down to earth as a poor infant. He took on a human nature out of His love for each and every one of us. That thought is so difficult to grasp, so beyond my understanding, and yet I believe it as strongly as I believe that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

While they were there, the days of her confinement were completed. She gave birth to her first-born son and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

There were shepherds in that region living in the fields and keeping the night watch by turns over their flocks. The angel of the Lord appeared to them as the glory of the Lord shown around them, and they were very much afraid. The angel said to them:"You have nothing to fear! I come to proclaim good news to you- tidings of great joy to be shared by the whole people. This day in David's city a savior has been born to you, the Messiah and Lord

Now that is something to think about, and to appreciate!!! And it certainly is something to celebrate.

Along those same lines, but on a slightly different level, it also is a time of the year that I find my thoughts turning more often to all those people who have been and/or are a part of my life. From family to friends to people who have been there for me in ways they probably never even realized, people I laugh with and people who have cried with me, people I never really knew but still somehow brightened my life, if even for a moment.......so many people who have left some sort of mark on me and lighted up my day and lightened my load, if even for a moment. What a tremendous gift to have received from so many different people! To all of them and to all of you, collectively and individually, my heartfelt thanks and I wish you all the happiest Christmas.

No comments: